Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My Newest Obsession: Mail Art

When I first mentioned mail art back in March, I was truly only dabbling in the art of mail.  Now, it's become a full-blown obsession.  At night while Alan and I watch "Lost" reruns (we're on Season 2 Episode 15-ish), I scour through magazines in search of interesting or unusual pictures.  I keep a basket with scissors, colored pencils, and rubber cement handy  ready for when inspiration strikes.

I try to keep about 6 pieces of mail ready at all times so that I can respond to a fellow mail artist's postcard posthaste.  As a "card-carrying" member of the International Union of Mail Artists (IUOMA - they pretty much let everybody join...), I've begun exchanging with people from all over the world.  I now have a little lilt in my step as I traipse to the mailbox every afternoon.

The downside.  I haven't felt like blogging.  My words have turned to pictures.  Perhaps if I could figure out a way to use collage as a form of blogging.  I'll google it.


Sent to Vaida in Lithuania
Sent to John in the UK
Sent to Nadine in CA
Sent to Svenja in Germany
Sent to Reed in TX 
Sent to Dillon in TX 
Sent to Dawson in TX
Sent to Bryce in TX 
Sent to Cindee in TX

5 comments:

Tanya said...

I love them all.... I am still just doodling with the mail art... but hate to send out plain envelopes.... still looking for a grabber statement to send on the envelopes that contain my credit card payments.

Carrie said...

These are great.
And inspiring.
But don't quit blogging!

Carolyn Lackey said...

Thanks, Tanya and Carrie!

Carrie said...

It seems as if the edges of the magazine pictures would curl up? Especially after going through the mail? Do you coat the entire envelope with something? Thanks!

Carolyn Lackey said...

Carrie, I use rubber cement. Before I mail anything, I go around the edges with my fingernail to make sure that the edges are glued securely. So far, I don't think that any of them have come apart. Also, I use a brayer to smooth out the pix every time I glue something down. Pushes out most of the air bubbles. I'd love to send you some mail art! If you'd like to receive some, email me your address: celackey@suddenlink.net.

Leaving town tomorrow, but I'll be back soon!
cel

Visitation

Meems had a very special visitor this weekend.  Our friend, Laura Ard, flew down from DC to spend time with her.  Laura lived next door t...