Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Hey There, Jody


Meems and "Jody"
Something surprising occurred last week.  Meems lost Kelly.  Kelly is no longer.

Kelly - granddaughter, niece, and daughter of my sister, Kathy - has visited Meems on average once a week since moving to Lubbock two years ago.

Meems' dimming mind "tagged" her with the words "Kelly," "granddaughter," "nursing school," and "nurses make good money."

Over time the progression of losing Kelly went something like this:

"When do you graduate from nursing school?"

"September of 2017, Mimi!"
..........

"When do you graduate from nursing school?"

"In September of this year, Mimi!"
..........

"When do you graduate from nursing school?"

"In September, Mimi!"
..........

"Are you my nurse?"

"No, Mimi, I'm your granddaughter, Kelly."
..........

Then, last week:

"Mom, do you know who this pretty girl is?"

She slowly raised her head off of her chest and gave Kelly a prolonged thoughtful look.

"Jody?"

"No, Mimi.  I'm Kelly, your granddaughter."

"Kelly?"

"Yes, Mom.  That's Kathy's daughter, Kelly.  She's your granddaughter."

"Oh."

A few minutes later:

"Mimi, do you remember my name?"

"Jody."

Since then, it's been Jody.  Mom remembers me.  She remembers my son, Bryce.  She remembers my husband, Alan.  But, she has lost her beloved granddaughter.  In exchange, she gained a new friend.  Jody.  We're just goin' with it.

Jody.  Jody.  Jody.




2 comments:

Paula Neumann Peckham said...

Carolyn-I love watching how you respond to the curves life throws.
Thanks for sharing honestly and humorously. It helps us all.

Carolyn Lackey said...

Thanks, Paula!!! I am surrounded by people who are helping me along in this journey. I am so grateful.
cel

Visitation

Meems had a very special visitor this weekend.  Our friend, Laura Ard, flew down from DC to spend time with her.  Laura lived next door t...