Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Die, Madam Butterfly, Die!

Just a quick post to tell you about our evening.  We took my mom, Leonard, and my mother-in-law, Mary, to the movie to see a live broadcast of Madame Butterfly at the Metropolitan Opera which, by the way, was an a-mazing way to see an opera!!!  Anyhoo.  Alan bought the tickets a couple of weeks ago.  We've been talking to Mom about it since he bought the tickets.  It's pretty simple...movie theatre...live broadcast...Madame Butterfly.

Ring-ring-ring.

"Hello?"

"What time are you going to pick up Leonard and me tonight?"

"6:00 sharp."

"OK.  Where is the opera going to be?"

"Remember...it's going to be at the movie theatre."

"Oh, yeah.  I forgot.  It's showing at the movie theatre.  When did they make the opera into a movie?"

"It's a live broadcast of the actual opera from the Met in New York."

"Oh.  That's nice."

Walking into the theatre at 6:15.

"Now, what movie are we going to go see?"

"Madame Butterfly."

"Oh.  I didn't know they made that into a movie."

After Act 1 of the "movie opera."

"Did she kill herself yet?"

"No, Mom.  The opera isn't over.  That was the end of Act 1.  She's still got a good hour to live."

"Oh.  I thought she already killed herself.  Pardon my breath.  I had onions on my salad at dinner."

"Yes.  You did."

After Act 2 of the "movie opera."

"Did she kill herself yet?"

"Nope.  That was the end of Act 2.  She's still alive."

"Oh.  I thought she already killed herself."

During Act 3 of the "movie opera."

"Tell me when she starts to kill herself."

"OK."

"Has he come back to see her yet?"

"She's waiting for him.  She stayed up all night watching for him.  Oh...there he is!"

"Is that a woman with him?"

"Yes."

A bit later...

"OK, Mom.  It's coming.  She's holding the knife."

"Is she dead yet?"

My, oh, my.  I had no idea that my little mother was so fixated on death scenes.  I will not be watching Romeo and Juliet with her anytime in the near future.

I just figured out that it was the "encore" of a live broadcast of Madame Butterfly.  I guess that means that Madame Butterfly actually died about a year ago.  Like mother.  Like daughter.




2 comments:

Ashleigh Burroughs said...

Oh, my, I'm laughing through my tears. I've got one of those mothers, too. So happy to find someone else finds the humor in the sorrow.
a/b

Carolyn Lackey said...

Thanks, Ashleigh!! And, thanks for stopping by!!

Visitation

Meems had a very special visitor this weekend.  Our friend, Laura Ard, flew down from DC to spend time with her.  Laura lived next door t...