Sunday, September 25, 2011

An Epiphany Regarding a Good Guffaw

In the shower just now, I had an epiphany.  I threw on my robe (FYI) and came running to my memory keeper to throw it out there.

Here it is:
The more you've laughed with a person, the easier it is to cry with him/her.

(This theory probably only applies to women and men who are totally [I just substituted "totally" for a word that I can't for the life of me spell right this minute.  In doing so, I have made my very own self LOL.   The word?  "Thur-row."  Don't spoil it by telling me how to spell it!!  I am basking in this place of LOL.] in touch with their feelings.)

There are only a handful of people on this planet that have, since college days, been able to send me to the Land of Wet Your Pants Laughing.  I LOVE to go there!   I dream of going there EVERY SINGLE DAY.  But, I make the trip less and less as the years go by.  The only exceptions would be people who send me there totally inadvertently.  See:  "Involuntary External Expression Disorder" (aka-inappropriate laughter)

Every member of my little family and numerous extended family members have rocketed me to Wet Your Pants Laughing quite generously through the years.  Thank you very much! I have some dear and precious friends who could get me there if we took the time to sit and visit with perhaps the eensy teensiest margarita.  Life gets busy.  I rarely imbibe.

[Got it!  "Thur-row" - t-h-o-r-o-u-g-h!  Show's over folks!]

I'll have to think about this carefully as I put on my makeup and blow dry my hair, but I do believe that the people who have been able to send me into paroxysms [It's so weird.  I spelled "paroxysm," but t-h-o-r-o-u-g-h...not so much] of laughter (this does NOT include strangers who fall off ladders with the grace of a goat) are the people with whom I have been able to "go there" with.  I mean "go there" as in bare my soul.  Spill my guts.  Show my ugly cry.

Hmmm.  Why is that?  Let me see...  Mayhaps it's because that place of deep laughter doubles as a place of deep understanding of things that are important.  A meeting of the minds if you will.  The wink of Deep-Rooted Perception.  Kind of like the look parents exchange when they hear their kids scream, "Santa Claus came!!!"  The look that communicates years of shared experience.

Anyhoo.  I love having friends who allow me to "go there."  But, only if they will totally "go there" with me.  Hardy.  Har.  Har.  

Come my friend!  Let's dance in the meadow, feast on a fall picnic and share a really good breathless guffaw.

Writer's Note:  (sounds ominous...)  The very title of this blog is based on the gifts and talents of my sister, Kathy.  She could NAIL the funny in the midst of angst.  The day after I had a Fallopian [t-h-o-r-o-u-g-h] tube removed due to a very painful ectopic pregnancy, she came into my hospital room bearing a CASE of Oreos.  As little girls, Oreos came with skinned knees and broken hearts.  That case of here-little-precious-this-will-make-it-all-better mad me laugh so hard I had to make her leave the room for a while.  The laughter KILLED my incision.  And, raised my spirits.

Oops!  Almost forgot!  Banana Bike.

No comments:

Visitation

Meems had a very special visitor this weekend.  Our friend, Laura Ard, flew down from DC to spend time with her.  Laura lived next door t...