Monday, September 19, 2011

Who Dat Go To Duh Big Easy?

Last week I got to tag along with Alan on a business trip to the Big Easy.  It was our first time to visit fair NOLA, and we went with our bibs tied tightly around our necks ready to eat our way through the Crescent City.


THINGS I LOVED ABOUT NEW-OH-LEANS

Our Hotel
We loved the Soniat House, a tiny boutique hotel
in the French Quarter about 3 blocks from Jackson Square. 
Each morning, a light breakfast of piping hot homemade biscuits and strawberry jam
would be brought up to our room or to the terrace by our room to the courtyard.
The stairs that lead up to our hall...
That led to our room - door on the left - which opened with a KEY.

The Larapin' Good Food
Shrimp Creole at Muriel's
Baked Alaska at Antoines
While I was sorely disappointed that the waitstaff of Cafe du Monde
is composed of "non-locals," the beignets and Classic Coke
(I'm a coffee hata) did not disappoint.  I just wanted my breakfast
accompanied by some "How you all doin' this mawnin'?"
Just about the best thing I put ever put in my mouth - the Central Grocery Muffuletta.
I'm salivating just looking at the picture.
Pee-can Pie at Mr. B's - Alan picked up a carry out order two nights later.
We HAD to have another piece.
Every single morsel we ate at the Upperline Restaurant.  The owner, JoAnn greeted
us at the door like we were her long lost best friends.  I'm still thinking about the
Fried Green Tomato with Shrimp Remoulade.  That's what I'm talkin' about!

The Colorful People
At 4:00 in the afternoon, I came upon this little "parade " of about 14 people...in kilts.
Drinking beer.  While pulling a beer wagon.
I would have loved to pass an afternoon away in the shade listening
to Duct Taped Tuba Man doling out some Dixie Land.
My new friend, Willow, who used to ride the bus overnight on weekends to Austin
in the summers of his teen years to play street music on 6th Street.

So, that's a sampling of my experience in NOLA.  I saw with my own eyes the resilience of the people in the aftermath of Katrina.  The 9th Ward with its new construction and abandoned homes with their spray-painted first responder codes showed me how far they've come and how much there is left to be done.

There is so much more to explore.  I can't wait to go back.



No comments:

Visitation

Meems had a very special visitor this weekend.  Our friend, Laura Ard, flew down from DC to spend time with her.  Laura lived next door t...